Topics

New Artist I discovered

Lynne

Hi:
I discovered a wonderful new artist Faith Ringgold who is not only an artist, but an activist, a woman, a black woman and renowned painter.
Her works are in MOMA among many other venues.
Even though she is not a photographer I felt after seeing her interviewed at almost 90 years of age accompanied by her two daughters, she is an inspiration to us all.
Much of her work that came out during the 60s is applicable to what is happening today. She had to overcome many challenges.
She is a master quilt maker and writer of many children's books.
I have indicated a link to one of the many You Tube programs, but if you want to go further there are lots more on the internet.
Check with MOMA who just did and interview with her.
Lynne R. Cashman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cU9MpcHfwiA

Brigitte Thieme

Thanks for sharing!

Brigitte@brigittethiemephotography

On Jun 19, 2020, at 15:28, Lynne via groups.io <lynne@...> wrote:

Hi:
I discovered a wonderful new artist Faith Ringgold who is not only an artist, but an activist, a woman, a black woman and renowned painter.
Her works are in MOMA among many other venues.
Even though she is not a photographer I felt after seeing her interviewed at almost 90 years of age accompanied by her two daughters, she is an inspiration to us all.
Much of her work that came out during the 60s is applicable to what is happening today. She had to overcome many challenges.
She is a master quilt maker and writer of many children's books.
I have indicated a link to one of the many You Tube programs, but if you want to go further there are lots more on the internet.
Check with MOMA who just did and interview with her.
Lynne R. Cashman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cU9MpcHfwiA

Fran

Faith was on an episode of PBS show, Craft in America, which you can see if you have PBS passport. She has tiles in the 125th Street train station.

On Friday, June 19, 2020, 7:40 PM, Brigitte Thieme <brigitte@...> wrote:

[...]

Joan

I gave a paper on Black Women Quilters about 20 years ago and featured Faith Ringgold along with 6 or 7 others. Among other things, I likened the improvisational style of many of them to jazz artists.  I hope to see the show after my quarantine in upstate NY (Geneva) and MA.  I look forward to seeing you all again after my long hiatus.
Joan Pearlman

Faith was on an episode of PBS show, Craft in America, which you can see if you have PBS passport. She has tiles in the 125th Street train station.

Fran

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

[...]

Roseann Needleman

Thank you for sharing! She’s amazing!

On Jun 19, 2020, at 3:28 PM, Lynne <lynne@...> wrote:

Hi:
I discovered a wonderful new artist Faith Ringgold who is not only an artist, but an activist, a woman, a black woman and renowned painter.
Her works are in MOMA among many other venues.
Even though she is not a photographer I felt after seeing her interviewed at almost 90 years of age accompanied by her two daughters, she is an inspiration to us all.
Much of her work that came out during the 60s is applicable to what is happening today. She had to overcome many challenges.
She is a master quilt maker and writer of many children's books.
I have indicated a link to one of the many You Tube programs, but if you want to go further there are lots more on the internet.
Check with MOMA who just did and interview with her.
Lynne R. Cashman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cU9MpcHfwiA

Mary Flores-Camacho <mary@...>

Faith Ringgold's books were a staple in my classroom. We even made a huge storytelling quilt with every child adding a square. It hung in the hallway outside our room. I am sad that I don't have any photos of that quilt. When I saw her piece in MOMA, I was floored. All I knew were her children's literature and had no idea she was an activist.