Topics

Museum visit

Lynne

Hi:
Made my way to The Metropolitan Museum of Art today, Had a timed ticket, but got there early with no problem, had my temperature checked outside, bag searched inside and paid whatever I wanted as a NYC/NYS resident. Made my way to Photography's Last Century exhibit which is excellent, then up to the roof to see enjoy Hector' Zambra's, Lattice Detour which is fascinating.
Then to Jacob Lawrence's paintings, The American Struggle, which in many ways ties into today's struggles.
On my way out was fascinated by another exhibit, which I couldn't really take in, but will return. The title of which is Sahel: Art and Empires on the Shores of the Sahara.
Everyone wearing masks and keeping them on. Hand sanitizers all over.
Elevator to the roof only allows two people in at a time with a guard in charge. Bathroom clean and only 4 people allowed inside at a time. They have one open right near the entry on 81st Street, ground floor. Bring your own water bottle, no fountains operating. Gift shop and bookstore also set up differently for ease. Seating emphasizes distancing.
I am glad that we have our cultural sites reopening. I suggest that if you can go now before everyone wakes up to visiting.
The only thing I didn't investigate was any quick places to get something to eat and or drink. Most places are closed within the museum.
Exhausted, but in a good way and a good respite from the angst of the outside world.
Have fun. My next venture will be to MOMA.
Lynne R. Cashman

Elizabeth Currier

Thanks Lynne!  So helpful to know and encouraging.  Time to venture out for some Kultcha!

--
212 281-8807

Barbara Nelson 1

also - leave a couple hours for the “Making of the Met” which was suppose to be grand opening in March celebrating 150 years - but the virus hit at the same time.  It is fabulous and a study in how to curate an exhibition of many subjects.  Barbara Nelson

PS totally loved the smaller exhibit on first floor (in the back - ask where it is) of Jacob Lawrence paintings - some of his paintings are also in th Whitney’s new exhibit.