Topics

medical insurance for travelers

Barbara Nelson 1

Hi group

I have been using Geo Blue for out of country coverage - I liked them for several reasons and especially I could buy a one year plan rather than have to buy a new policy for every time I left the country. For unknown reasons NYState advised them mid 2018 that they were no longer allowed to sell insurance in the state of NY. (no logical reason many people use the company - just another insurance story).

Does anyone have an insurance company they like for out of country travel when our standard insurance does not cover us? Basically for medical insurance - I haven’t been using trip interruption insurance (although I should, having been caught in the Monsoon in Kerala in October).

Thanks for any recommendations

barbara nelson

--
Barbara Nelson

Janice Wood Wetzel

I’m going to be out until late tonight but can give you the name of a reputable and reasonable company by tomorrow. They were recommended by our Vietnam organizers
Jan

On Mar 14, 2019, at 2:23 PM, Barbara Nelson 1 <@BarbaraN> wrote:

[...]

Nancy Langer

I buy the standard ones such as Allianz, Travel Guard, etc. The prices go according to the price of the trip, your age, etc. These days I would never travel without it. If one has to be evacuated it would cost thousands of dollars. And I took advantage of the trip interruption/delay clause twice. The most recent incidence—the Pantanal—I had to pay for 2 flights that were already paid for—in Brazil (long story). It took 6 months of hassling but got reimbursed over $500.

[...]

Annah Bode

Hello Barbara

I usually start by getting quotes from insuremytrip.com.

Once you've entered your info, the site will give you about 30 quotes, displaying the least expensive first.

Review some of the quotes in detail, tweak the insurance amounts, check the insurers' ratings, and finally pick the one that gives you the greatest bang for your buck & is deemed reliable.

I seem to remember that the site let's you compare a few quotes side by side.

Good luck!

Annah
Hell's Kitchen

On Mar 14, 2019, at 2:23 PM, Barbara Nelson 1 <bnelson2@...> wrote:

[...]

View/Reply Online (#990): https://PWP.groups.io/g/Members/message/990
Group Owner: Members+owner@PWP.groups.io

Beth

Check your credit cards! I cancelled flights from a small European airline(no refunds from them) for medical reasons, sumitted a claim to the credit card company, received full credit back.

On Thu, Mar 14, 2019 at 6:11 PM, Annah Bode
<annah@...> wrote:
[...]

lappinje@...

I have used Medjet for some years. I've never had to make a claim but I know it is a highly regarded form.of coverage.   I got a discount because I belonged to the NYYacht Club which had vetted them for those who sail abroad.  They will also ship you home if you croak abroad, certainly not something we expect to happen but sometimes does.  Prices escalate after 75, understandably.